Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Six months

My first "episode" was 6 months ago today. Actually my first FOUR episodes happened that day, all very strong. At that time I thought it was just something strange, and I didn't realize that it was going to result in months of testing, doctors, hospitals, medications, side effects, anxiety, and stress. More than that, the possibility that I may now have a chronic illness. It feels strange to think back to that first day and all that has happened since.

Now I'm in week #3 of med #2. The new med seems to be a LOT better than the old one. The only side effect I have noticed so far is that it makes me tired, and that should improve over the next couple of weeks. I have been at full dose since Sunday.

The last episode I entered in my tracker was a month ago. That was the last cluster of "bad" ones. I will give it another month before I decide whether the meds are helping, but I think they just may be. I have had almost no activity since that cluster, and what I have had was mild.

Next appointment with the neuro is early June, and by then I will have a very good idea of whether the med is doing the trick. If it is, then he will likely give me a diagnosis of complex partial seizures.

Still lots of unknowns.

I was never one to take my health for granted; I frequently was grateful for how healthy I've always been. But wow how my perspective has changed in the sudden transition from "I've always been perfectly healthy" to "This is my life now." It's a sharp reminder to never assume, even in our 20s and 30s, even with a healthy lifestyle, that we can keep that. We're not promised that.

Onward! :)

1 comment: