Monday, May 1, 2017

General Update

It's been 7 weeks since my med change, though it took a whole month to slowly increase the one and decrease the other (I ended up doing it much more gradually than the VGH neuro originally told me to, because of how loopy the Topiramate made me!) so I have only been on the current regular dosages for a couple of weeks.

Overall, I'm feeling about a million times better than I was a couple of months ago. Mentally and emotionally I'm feeling a lot better. I'm not depressed and moody anymore, and I have a lot more energy. I don't feel sick and sluggish all the time, though I do still feel tired sometimes and still need naps on many days. There are days when I hit mid-afternoon and get woozy and need to lay down for a bit, but overall I'm much improved. I haven't had any partials since March 14 (though a few weeks after that I had some extremely mild activity.... it was so mild that I did not count it, but just barely there... I can't even describe it and two years ago I would not have even noticed it).

My hands and feet are still tingly, but not nearly as badly as in the beginning, and improving. I still seem to be losing a bunch of hair every time I wash it, but that will hopefully improve. Not having memory or focus issues like I was when I started this one. And still some coughing/sneezing/breathing issues but those are also easing up. So overall I think the current mix is a massive improvement over the former one.

I saw my neuro this morning for my scheduled appointment, first one since December. This is significant since I have been trying to get in since my seizure at the end of December, when I was extremely depressed and realized my meds weren't working. Between December and March I called the office multiple times and even though he had told me that if it was urgent I could call and see him sooner, whenever I called the receptionist told me I could not get in sooner (hence the visit to VGH in March instead). So I told him this today, and he was not happy to hear it. He had no idea that any of this had happened, that I had had two seizures since he saw me last, that I had been to the hospital, that I had been calling and asking for appointments. The receptionist had not passed on any messages to him or made any notes in my file. He told me that he's not ok with that and would be speaking with her about it because with those kinds of mood-altering meds he wants his patients to be able to access him, and it's up to him to decide whether to see the patients sooner, not up to the receptionist (!). He was not pleased and I was reassured that he will deal with it for the future. Thankfully I'm able and willing to articulate these things... not all patients can or will, so hopefully there will be changes made so that others won't have the same problem. Can you imagine being in crisis and being screened out by your doctor's receptionist? Not cool. So I was glad to hear him say that he will deal with it.

I also asked him about long term effects of the medication vs long term effects of the seizures, because both have been a concern to me. He said that the medications I'm on have been around for a long time and are both quite safe, much safer than uncontrolled seizures. He said that leaving the seizures untreated would be much, much worse for my brain than being on the meds, over the long run. So I am trusting him on that one.

In the meantime, working on getting some momentum back in my business since I had let it lapse for the months when I was feeling so awful that I wasn't working much; now that I'm starting to feel better I am working again and need to get back on track!

3 comments:

  1. I've been screened out by a receptionist at my doctor's office too. It wasn't as serious as yours but it was fairly serious and I was super annoyed. And so was my doctor. I was on disability after my pulmonary embolism and needed more time off on disability. So I wrote my doctor a note asking her to write the insurance company a letter saying this (and because I wasn't feeling well writing the note took me a long time!) and got my mom to drop it off. Well the receptionist just put it in my file and my doctor didn't get it until my next appointment. Grrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I unfortunately can't relate to most of that, but you definitely have my sympathies. Sounds like things are finally turning up.

    The one thing I definitely can relate to is the hair loss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really, really hope that I don't lose as much hair as you have!! lol!

      Delete