Wednesday, August 16, 2017

The Stress Test



Last week I read a book called The Stress Test, by Ian Robertson. It is about the physical effects of stress on the brain and was quite fascinating. It talked about why stress seems to break some people but strengthen others, and went into the neurological reasons for how stress can strengthen us and even make us smarter. Throughout the book I found myself feeling inspired and actually felt my own stress levels decreasing as I read. It was as if the past two years of the chronic stress I’ve been under suddenly have a purpose and I can see it as something good instead of something destructive. It might sound strange to put it that way, but it’s helpful to me and that’s what matters. It was almost funny, because I could feel my body physically relaxing as I was reading this book about stress, and feel my stress level decreasing because I was so inspired by it. All of this that I’ve been going through can make me stronger, smarter, more resilient in the long run. Just have to keep going

It's been awhile since I've given gratitude shout outs, so this week they're going to:

  • Laura, who took me to Superstore after my recent meltdown over not being able to get groceries (seriously, you were the best thing that happened to me that week!)
  • Everyone else who offered support in the wake of that meltdown--there were a lot of you, so thank you!
  • my mom, who I have mentioned before but deserves another mention because she has consistently been my best supporter over the past two years!
  • my mastermind group, which I don't think I've mentioned here before; we meet weekly to work on business and life, and it has been a consistent help and encouragement as I try to balance growing my business and managing my health and somehow holding it all together (they even tolerate me crying once in awhile!). That's my tribe! 

No comments:

Post a Comment